A majority of homeowners never think about their locks until it is time for them to be changed. However, installing a front door lock is one of the smallest improvements you can do to your home’s security without spending much money.
If you are looking for an inexpensive way to improve the look and security of your home, think about installing a front door lock.
Did you know that front door lock installation will ensure your home’s security?
Before you begin, make sure all the measurements for your new lock are available. To ensure a proper fit, remove your old lock and take it with you to the hardware store or locksmith. Make sure to bring along a piece of cardboard from the packaging material as well as a permanent marker to take exact measurements.
One final measurement to make sure of is the height of the lock. Make sure you know which side your doorknob or deadbolt will be on before purchasing your new front door lock. This way, you can make sure it will fit in the hole without obstruction isn’t an issue when it comes time to install your lock.
Once you have the measurements, go to your local hardware store or locksmith to find a front door lock that fits. Most are universal so they should fit in most standard doors with no problem. If you are having trouble finding one, try asking for assistance from an employee or simply purchase the first lock that seems like it will work.
Along with the above, here are some FAQs about front door lock installation:
Do you have any tips or tricks on how to install a front door lockset?
One of the best things about this type of lockset is that installation is typically very easy, requiring no major carpentry work.
You can remove some existing screws before reattaching them into the new holes, but it is really not necessary. Plan on spending about an hour or two to install the lockset yourself.
If you are worried that you might have trouble, just set aside a weekend to do this project. It may seem overwhelming at first, but any homeowner should be able to successfully install it with the right information and preparation.
Is there an easier way to install a front door lock?
You can avoid the hassle of installing a front door lock by hiring a locksmith, but this is going to cost you much more than just buying and installing one yourself.
You can avoid paying the high prices of a locksmith by purchasing a front door/entryway lock yourself and installing it yourself.
Should I hire a professional or do it myself?
Front door locks can be installed by a professional or you can save money and install it yourself.
If you are trying to decide between professional installation and doing it yourself, consider the following factors:
- How much experience do you have with locks?
- Do you want to bother with hiring a professional and waiting for them to do the work?
- Do you have the necessary tools to complete the project on your own?
What should I consider before installation?
Front door locks can be installed in a number of ways. Depending upon how the lock is mounted, different steps may need to be taken during installation.
For example, cylinder locks can be installed next to the door’s knob. However, mortise locks need to be mounted on the face of the door and often require special jigs or templates during installation.
What tools do I need?
If you have a mortise lock, you will need additional tools.
These locks are mounted on the surface of your door and require special jigs or templates during installation. To install this type of lock, the following tools are needed:
- Drill with 1/8″ bit
- 1/4″ drill bit for pilot hole
- 3/16″ drill bit for 5/8″ hole
- Saw to cut the mortise into the door
- Hammer to tap lock into place while installing faceplates.
- Large flathead screwdriver (to remove lock pins)
How do I install a mortise lock?
Mortise locks are more difficult to install than cylinder locks. When choosing a front door lock, it is important to consider the type of installation that will be required.
- Check your existing door jamb for its width. This information can be found on most home improvement websites or at your local hardware store. Choose an appropriate mortise lock based on this measurement.
- Mark the location of your mortise. The mortise is a rectangular cutout at the edge of the door and often requires cutting through one side of the door. Hold your template or jig up to this spot and mark it with chalk or pencil.
- Cut out your mortise using a saw. For this, you will need to make sure you have a saw that is designed for cutting through wood. Clean the dust from your mortise and drive two 3/16″ x 1-1/2″ screws into each side of the door at the center point of your rectangle (leave approximately 1/8″).
- Test fit your cylinder. You will need to slide your cylinder into the mortise and make sure it fits correctly. If not, remove the screws from your frame and use a hammer to tap out the rectangle until your cylinder can fit between the two sides of wood at least 1/4″ deep.
- Mark where you want your doorknobs to be placed. Once you have your cylinder in the mortise, make a mark for each doorknob location on the wood of your door. Make sure that these marks are level with each other and at least 1″ from the edges of the door. Repeat this step on all sides of your door.
- Drill holes for your doorknobs. Make sure the holes are slightly smaller than the screws you will be using to secure them. Use wood screws to attach each faceplate into place.
- Slide your cylinder into place one last time and check for proper fit. If everything looks good, remove all hardware from your door and prime it. Paint will help your screws and hardware blend in with the color of your door. Once it is dry, replace all of your faceplates and knobs on the door.
How do I install a mortise lock where there isn’t an existing hole?
Mortise locks can also be installed on doors without an existing hole for the knob.
If you are installing a deadbolt for this type of installation, it is recommended that you hire a professional locksmith.
How do I install a cylinder lock?
- Remove your existing knobs. If you have any interior doorknobs, remove them by turning them until they are perpendicular to the door and pulling away from the door.
- Remove your existing deadbolt lock. The deadbolt is typically mounted on an angle so that it will extend into the door jamb when locked. To remove this, you will need to rotate the lock and pull it away from the door jamb. Use a flathead screwdriver if needed.
- Fit your cylinder into the new doorknob. This can be accomplished by putting it in at an angle, rotating 90 degrees, removing it, rotating 90 degrees again, etc., until you can push it into place.
- Attach the faceplates that will cover your new doorknobs. These are attached by inserting them into the cylinder and pushing them in until they click in place. If you have a lock with interior doorknobs, make sure not to install the faceplate before installing all of your knobs or you will not be able to complete the project.
- Test all of your doorknobs before installing them onto your door. If you don’t, you may need to go back and attach additional hardware or make repairs later.
What is the difference between a “mortise lock” and a “cylinder lock?”
A mortise lock has a rectangle protruding from its face that is designed to fit directly into a door. The cylinder lock is a round shape that fits inside the hole of a door and typically has four “pins” inside it.
What other types of front door locks are there?
There are many different kinds of front door locks, including tubular key, barrel key, single-cylinder deadbolt, double cylinder deadbolt, keyless entry locks, etc. Each style works a little differently to open the door.
For this reason, it is important to consult with your hardware store clerk before selecting one so they can help you choose the right lock for your home or business.
How much does a deadbolt lock cost?
The cost of a deadbolt lock will depend on your needs and those of the hardware store that you purchase it from. For this reason, it is best to conduct a little research before buying anything at all. It is recommended that you call a few local locksmiths and compare their prices before making a choice.
What is a knob cylinder lock?
A knob cylinder lock is a useful type of low-security front door lock that functions using an internal pin found inside the lock called cylinder key, which can be opened with any device that has the correct key shape.
These types of locks are great for doors that need to be opened regularly with keys but offer little in the way of protection against forced entry.
What is a deadlatch?
A deadlatch is a type of door latch that has an extra metal bar running through it that blocks the back end of the doorknob when you close and lock it.
This makes it much more difficult for anyone trying to break into your home or business, and they often come standard on most front door locks.
Where should I get my hardware installed?
The best place to get your hardware installed is at a professional locksmith.
If you are going to attempt the installation yourself, it is recommended that you read over your owner’s manual carefully before beginning work on a door.
I have ugly brass doorknobs. Can I spray paint them to make them look better?
Yes! However, keep in mind that your knobs will likely rust after repeated use or if they come into contact with water.
If you don’t want to have to repaint them every few months, it is best not to spray paint your doorknobs at all.
How much does a front door lock installation cost?
The price of a lock installation will depend upon many factors including style and type of lock as well as the charges of your locksmith.
It is best to contact a few local locksmiths and compare their prices before making a final selection.
What kind of front door locks are most secure?
The most secure type of front door lock is one that requires a key from the outside and a knob from the inside. This prevents an intruder from entering your home or business without you knowing about it.
What are the most common causes for needing to rekey locks?
The most common cause for needing to rekey locks is when someone has lost their keys and you need a professional locksmith to help them out by making new copies of their existing keys.
Locks can also be rekeyed if you are moving into a new house or business, or if you have recently gotten married.
Where can I find good information about door locks?
The internet is the best place to find articles and advice about door locks.
By searching your specific question on your web browser, you will be able to obtain more results than you could ever need about the topic.
What are some good brands for door locks?
Some of the most popular brands that sell high-quality doorknobs and front door locks include Kwikset, CISA, Weiser, Monfichet, Defiant, Von Duprin, etc. As long as you choose a reputable brand, you can’t go wrong.
Where can I find door locks for kids?
There are many places where you can easily find childproof door locks that will keep your home or business safe from curious young children.
Just do a Google search on “doorknob stops” and there should be plenty of results to guide you in the right direction.
Where can I find information about customer support for door locks?
Customer support for door locks is necessary if you ever have any issues with your doorknob or front door lock. It allows you to get real-time assistance over the phone and makes the installation process easier than ever before. SlimJim Home Security provides all of its customers with 24/7 support for their front door locks.
How often should door locks be replaced?
Door locks should be replaced every ten years, or when they begin to wear down and stop working properly.
Most older homes will need a new doorknob or front door lock to improve security.
How can I make my front door locks more secure?
Some of the most basic ways to make your door locks more secure are by getting all-metal locks and replacing any old, worn keys with new ones.
Replacing the exterior key cylinder will also make the lock far more efficient.
Do I need a professional to rekey my door lock?
Yes, only a trained professional will be able to provide you with the necessary installation services that are needed for all types of locks.
Front door locks are no exception, and it is always best to hire a licensed company for this job rather than trying to do it yourself.
Are you looking to install a new front door lock?
We’re here to help! Whether you are replacing an existing deadbolt or installing a brand-new one, we have everything you need for your installation. Our step-by-step guide will walk you through the process and make it easy for anyone to do it themselves.
Plus, our website’s blog section has additional information about how locks work and what to look for when shopping around.
You can feel confident knowing that SlimJim is there with all the tools and resources needed so that your lock installation goes smoothly. So go ahead – get started today!